Thursday, January 28, 2010

Jaws


I had a night of insomnia recently and found myself on the sofa watching old movies. One of those movies was JAWS and I couldn't help reaching for my sketchbook. This is a (quick) sketch of the shark hunter guy who became lunch at the end of the movie. Behind him is easily the worst shark drawing I've ever created but it certainly needed to be included.

So I got to thinking about an artist I was led to by an instructor at RISD. I was beginning to experiment with a cross hatching style (you can see my more recent cross hatch illustrations in the FRED portfolio on my website) and my teacher sent me to the library to check out Murray Tinkelman. It seems he was plagued with insomnia (if memory serves) and did much of his work late at night while watching TV.

Check out Murray's stuff. It's so much better than my (quick) sketch above and he certainly would have drawn a better shark. http://tinkelmanstudio.com/portfolio.html

(I'll draw a new shark soon for a future post)

2 comments:

jordan said...

I do 90% of my drawing while watching movies. Dialogue heavy movies are preferable. I watched The Fountain, Rocky V, Enemy of the State and a couple others while working on this current project...

As for your sketch, as usual, you somehow nailed Quint (the characters name haha) in just a few lines. Shark looks kinda like Jabberjaw though:
http://www.melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/stills/J/jabberjaw2.jpg

edfredned said...

I don't know how I should feel about that Jabberjaw likeness!

More and more I'm sketching while watching TV but I'm very distract-able and I don't get much quality work done. Working on it though...