Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Dr. Sketchy

I went to the Boston Dr. Sketchy's on Sunday to do some figure drawing and I brought my dad who has been getting into drawing again. Dr. Sketchy in Boston (Dr. Sketchy's Anti-Art School was started by Molly Crabapple and is now in 16 countries and 100 cities) gets its models from local drag, burlesque and performance art and it really makes all the difference!

The model, who goes by the name Madame Lapin (french for rabbit- get it?), posed in a variety of costumes: a pirate, a secretary, a bunny, and a couple other costumes that made me glance over at my dad a few times to make sure he was ok (he was).

The drawing above was done in brush pen and then when I decided it was too boring, I added charcoal which I think really adds an interesting texture. I did a lot more but this was the only drawing small enough to scan. Once I've photographed 1 or 2 I like I'll post those as well.

Dr. Sketchy’s Boston is every Second Sunday of the month from 2:30 to 5:30 at Great Scott: 1222 Commonwealth Ave. Allston, MA at the corner of Harvard St.

2 comments:

jordan said...

nice! i want to see the rest of them.

Bill Morse said...

Ohh! They have one in Seattle too! They're great. It's an entertaining show and they really put you through your paces.